Sports Bras Are A Must For Active Teens
There are many activities available for young girls to participate in and often a specific team uniform or sporting equipment is required. However there is one piece of equipment that should be a priority for all active female teenagers…A Sports Bra for Teenagers!
Young girls develop at different ages and there can be a vast difference in the rate of breast growth. Every girls experience is different and this must be taken into consideration when buying a sports bra. A small busted 12 year old will probably want to wear a very different style of bra compared to a larger busted 16 year old. However what all girls with developing breasts do have in common is the need to help protect their delicate breast tissue, especially during exercise.
Surveys of teenagers and young adults have also found that girls can become self conscious of their developing breasts and this can stop them participating in sporting activities, especially if they experience tender breasts or feel like they are getting in the way. Wearing a sports bra can make a girl feel more comfortable and confident in her body.
Main Benefits of a Sports Bra for a Teenager:
- Help protect developing breasts.
- Greater support for the breasts helping reduce breast tenderness that many girls experience.
- Improved confidence and performance as she can focus on the activity and not worry about breast movement.
Things to Consider When Buying Sports Bras for Teenagers:
- Teenagers can feel uncomfortable being measured for a bra in a shop. Help her to measure at home instead.
- Growing breasts can be sensitive and easily irritated, so look for soft materials and smooth styles.
- Some girls are more self conscious about their changing bodies and prefer a bra with lining or light modesty padding.
- Some girls breasts can change in size or shape during their menstrual cycle. Many girls find they prefer different styles of bras at different times in their cycle.
- Removable padding can be helpful if one breast is bigger than the other, which is very common in developing teenagers.
- If your teenager has only recently started to wear bras it is best to stick to a wirefree sports bra. Sports bras are designed to fit snugly to give plenty of support and they may find the underwire too uncomfortable. Some studies have also shown non-wired bras are better for developing breasts.
- Some teenagers prefer crop style sports bras. This is a good option for smaller breasts as they can offer sufficient support plus some room to grow.
- If your teenager is generally active at school, plays sports at lunchtime etc, it may be best to find sports bra that are suitable to wear all day under their uniform.
- Consider the recommended level of activity for a particular bra as they do not all offer the same level of support.
- Once you find a sports bra she loves…buy several. This allows rotation between activities, practice sessions and being washed.
Some Recommended Sports Bras for Teenagers: